Monday, October 29, 2012

Tender mercies of the Lord


We've had a good week overall. It was interesting because it was a week of some change. It didn't go at all as planned. Then again, when does it go like planned? xD It started out quite difficult because we just couldn't manage to meet with the people that we wanted to. They were all busy, out of town, sick, or otherwise not interested anymore or unreliable. It was quite hard on me, and by Wednesday I was honestly discouraged. It wasn't too great.

Eating Giant Gyros on P-day. Elder Kopischke (right) had two!!!
For me the hand of the Lord in my life came throughout the second part of the week. We had an exchange with Elders Neville and Bernskov. Elder Bernskov and I worked together in my area. He is a great missionary. He helped me see things on the bright side. We had solid lessons together and we also had a good time trying some finding on the street and even some doorknocking. XD Which is always a interesting experience in Athens. Those 24h helped get a new outlook. The Lord wasn't finished sending me help and comfort.

Doorknocking with Elder Bernskov. Note the lack of upper floors.
These are the doorbells (for 2 apartments). The Greeks are crazy xD
On Friday he sent Ibrahim with two of his friends to us. We had a great conversation with them and they are truly interested in the gospel. It was a great testimony to me of Ibrahim's love of the gospel and conversion as he was on fire this week in introducing people to the missionaries. He made me happy that day. He has a great enthusiasm to share the gospel and a great ability to teach as well. He's an invaluable asset in teaching and fellowshipping. That act was a tender mercy of the Lord to me to help me completely overcome my discouragement.

Now we have many new people to teach and a great opportunity to also work with two of our investigators for baptism. One has a date for the 10 November and the other for the 24 November. This will be exciting as they are preparing and learning for these two days. Canada, who I told you about is one of them that has a date. He's really good and very willing. We just have to get him to not forget to read in the Book of Mormon xD... I'm excited to see what the next week will bring.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Liam: Not sure if this is a way to reach you or not as I am not too familar with blogging.
    The "tender mercies' were with us this week as the storm "Sandy" did not hit us where we were to a great extent. We were without power for 2 days but were prepared to deal with that as we have a generator and plenty of camp gear to use for light and cooking. It reminded us of the Boy Scout Motto "Be Prepared". Luckily I had done some sewing on Monday for a friend so it was ready Tues Night and had my Temple schedule outlined which I will now finish as the power is back on.

    The Ward made a great effort to have everyone contacted before, during and after but i am not sure just how well it worked. Tried to do my VT part but had to work between keeping the phone batteries charged. House phones were out.

    Roads were not too bad in town however so I made it to appts. and to Scouts last night. where we talked to the boys about 72 hr. kits and how it relates to keeping their backpacks or bags packed for camping or emergencies. Many homes near the shore were destroyed either with water or fire. Many trees were uprooted and down. A strange one for Halloween was an old oak tree in New Haven which upended and had an old skeleton entwined in the roots from an old village cemetary under the "Green" where the oak grew.

    Running ther generator was helpful but a lot of work for Grandpa as it was the first use we have had of it. After the storm last halloween we thought it would be helpful to have. it is large and in a bad outing we could either run the whole house or help the neighbors keep their refridgerators going.

    Today is going to be a catch up day and get ready for Halloween kids tonight as there will be many. However there are a couple of kids around here I would like to put my hands around their necks and squeeze. They broke eggs on my little convertible and 3 other cars this morning. Time to send them back to school or make this condo group ---adults only.The twits!!

    Pat's kids will come over tonight as it is the safeest place for them and their is still power problems in their town. They were in good shape however.

    Lots of love to you and keep up the good work and enjoyable writing. We also enjoy copies of Jeff's letters from Germany.

    Hi. from Chris. He helped me with putting in some brick work last Sat. and asked how you were doing. Perehaps he will find the blog. Not sure if they know about it as your dad is not sending out letters now. You are thought of and in our prayers always.

    Love Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete