Monday, June 10, 2013

The Spirit and Shoes

This week was amazing! I experienced soooo much! It was great. We had many miracles and experiences. However, two things stick out to me especially in this week.

On Wednesday we met one of our newer investigators (Gerald from Sierra Leone) for a lesson on the Restoration. He'd read the pamphlet and had many questions concerning it. They were very good questions. However, we didn't get through them all so we arranged with him to come again the next day. When we arrived on Thursday evening, they family there had guests come over just as we'd sat down. So, we ended up not discussing what we'd planned on but we had an introductory lesson and spoke of the Book of Mormon one of the guests was very interested in it. She serves in the British Army. She'd seen the book before but had never heard first hand about it, so she questioned us on it and agreed to meet with us and our other investigator on Saturday. That was when we had a the great experience. We spoke about the Apostasy. They actually spoke to us about the Apostasy they saw in the churches they'd attended and how they saw all the money-making that happens in the churches today. They got pretty excited about it. Then when they'd come to a close, we calmly told them about Joseph Smith's history. We told them of his search for truth and we let the soldier read the first vision for us from the pamphlet and we told both of them to ponder the picture right next to it afterwards. When she finished reading there was a hush. We stayed quiet for at least 3-4 min. It was great! The Spirit was very strong in the room as we just sat there and savored the feeling. Then Elder Watts and I testified humbly of our knowledge of the truth of these things. The Florence (soldier) just kept repeating how that account really touched her. She read the whole page on the pamphlet and was quite introspective after that. They both said that they wanted to come to church the next day. (Sadly they didn't make it for some reason :(   ) But, I saw what effect the Spirit had on those two people and it was definitely the Lord's hand in the lesson and in the "coincidence" of us meeting a second unplanned time with our investigator (Gerald) so we could also meet Florence and share that message with her also.

On Sunday we had a great miracle in Elder Watts life which touched me. We had an appointment with Sister Despina on Sunday evening. When we spoke with her in church in the morning she told me that she had a surprise for me. I was curious.
So after we'd ended the lesson we had with her and her mother I asked her what that surprise was. She ran to her room and came back out with a shoebox. Inside were a pair of really nice, unworn shoes. I was amazed and a little worried why she would be giving me shoes. It turned out that her uncle had bought them for her 2 years ago and had gotten them to large for her and they were also men's shoes. So she'd kept them but never really found any use for them. I looked at the size and realized that they wouldn't fit me and I told her. But then it turned out that that they fit Elder Watts. It was amazing. Because Elder Watts had been telling me just earlier this week that he needed to go buy new shoes and there were exactly the shoes he needed. It was quite amazing! It reminded me of the story in the Liahona a while back. I know now with certainty that the Lord looks out for his missionaries even in trivial things. That is what I learned from this experience! It is astounding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment