Monday, April 8, 2013

General Conference


What a week! It was just crazy. We were busy, busy, busy. I'm glad the transfer is over and everyone has settled into their new areas.

I saw the Lord's hand in my life again this General Conference. I had the privilege to participate in the translation of General Conference into Greek. I'm very grateful that I got the opportunity again. It was just amazing. The intensity with which I felt the Lord's help was amazing. I recognized that I couldn't do this alone from the beginning and I prayed for the strength do read the talks in Greek at the tempo and rhythm and with the feeling that was necessary to convey the Spirit and the power of what these Apostles and prophets were saying.
This is the first session on Sunday.


I was able to translate President Eyring's talk, Elder Cook's talk, Elder Andersen's talk and I had the privilege to read the translation for Elder Holland's talk and I knew that I needed to work hard to convey that emotion he conveys when he speaks. I also knew what I wouldn't be able to do it on my own. So, I prayed for a miracle. I prayed that I could feel what Elder Holland felt as he spoke and that I could speak as Elder Holland spoke. It turned out to be an amazing experience. As I read I felt like I was giving the talk and that what I was saying where my words i.e. they came from my feelings. It was a little bit like floating. It was quite amazing. I hope that it will be a great experience for those who'll listen to it in Greek.

This is towards the end of the second session on Sunday.
That Sunday I had another experience with the Lord's hand in my life. In the morning I remembered that it was our turn as missionaries to give the Priesthood class in Halandri branch. I had completely forgotten that and because we were in Ilion and Elder Neville was in Akropoli we hadn't planned on going to church in Halandri. We called Pres. Karamboulas and he said we shouldn't worry about it. But as we were sitting in Sacrament meeting in the Athens 1st branch (Greek) I just had this overwhelming feeling that I needed to be in Halandri. At first I wanted to suppress it and make excuses why it wouldn't be practical. However I spoke to Elder Neville and we decided we would go after Sacrament meeting up to Halandri to teach that class.

So, it was and we went and we taught the class somehow (we didn't really have time to prepare). I could tell that they were very grateful that we'd shown up. I'm also very grateful that I went, because the whole time I knew I'd made the right choice. It turned out to be a little difficult to coordinate our meeting with Elder Barber and Demeyere again (who were doing translation too) and I ended up staying for the whole 3 h in the Athens second branch (English). It was pretty nice though. I was able to meet Canada again. He was in church there. We were both really happy to talk again. It worked out and I wasn't worried at all about not having time to practice reading the talks we'd be translating in the evening because I knew that I'd done what Heavenly Father wanted me to do.

Elder Holland's talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment